So I decided to flash the eMMC & Rootfs on my Nokia N900. I followed the instructions from the Maemo.org Wiki for Updating the firmware and achieved a perfectly flashed device.
Below is a summary of what I did:
The two images used I downloaded from: http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N900.php – One has to type in a 15-digit IMEI number to access this page. One can find this under the battery.
RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin (this is a VANILLA image).
RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin (this is a COMBINED image).
- (flashing the) eMMC aka *VANILLA*, which will replace the complete content of N900′s internal 32 GB storage (embedded MMC), which is: the
/homepartition which has your stored browser passwords and game highscores and calendar and contacts etc.
/homeis also containing
/opt. Plus eMMC stores all the content of the MyDocs 28 GB VFAT partition, where all the media and docs and other user content lives.
- (flashing the) FIASCO aka *COMBINED*, also referred to as “rootfs” though this file and flashing process also consists of / affects NOLO bootloader (the several stages), the kernel, and usually the GSM modem firmware, in addition to the root filesystem which is basically the content of your 240 MB NAND flash storage and implements the Linux operating system.
NB: Bear in mind when one flashes the eMMC you are wiping out everything, not just the Rootfs, but everything in the 32GB partition, so before you do this, PLEASE BACKUP EVERYTHING. Use the N900 backup tool, then physically move the backup to your computer.
- Fully charge the battery (IMPORTANT!!)
- Install Flasher for your OS (MS Windows 7)
- Grab the Vanilla eMMC image (.bin file) from the Nokia repository
- Navigate to the directory where the image file was saved (mine was c:\flasher)
- Execute the following command:
flasher-3.5.exe -F RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin -f
- Text similar to the following will be displayed on the computer:
- Plug in switched off N900 while holding ‘u’ key.
- The dim Nokia screen will be displayed for a few seconds followed by progression dots. Text similar to the following will be displayed on the computer:
- The flash will take a minute or so.
- Switch off device by removing the battery.
- DO NOT START the DEVICE.
- Unplug the USB cable.
- Hold the ‘u’ key on the device keyboard and connect the USB cable at the same time. (TIP: Hold the u key until Windows has successfully installed the driver.)
- Run the following command:
flasher-3.5.exe -F RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R
The flash took approximately 2 minutes after which the N900 rebooted and displayed the Welcome Screen with Regional settings.