Firmware for Nokia N900:
NITDroid (Android port & Dual Booting) for the Nokia N900:
- How to Upgrade from NITDroid N11 “Vostok” to N12 “UMay”? (Gingerbread)
- How to install NITDroid N11 “Vostok” on N900? (Gingerbread)
- How to install NITDroid version 0.0.9? (Froyo)
- How to get the HTC Sense theme on your NITDroid?
- Nitroid This project is hoping to create stable and working version of the android OS for the nokia internet Tablets (N8x0 and n900 series.
- [Android] NITDroid V2 Development Topic on the Maemo Forums.
Installing Meego onto the N900:
- Rogério Britos instructions on installing Meego onto the Nokia N900.
Overclocking the N900:
- New kernel for power user 2.6.28-10power47.
- Multiboot, BackupMenu and Kernel Power46?
- See my post titled Pushing the Nokia N900 to the limit! This post has links to all the resources.
- There is a really cool application called MaeModder that takes care of a whole multitude of mods including overclocking.
Modifying the Nokia N900:
- Do it yourself Liviu Farbas has done an awesome post on his Nokia N900 modifications. His post details how he added a full size USB port, and a solar panel to the device. You can also see what others have said about his modifications here at the Maemo.org website.
Nokia N900 How to do the million and one things this tablet can do:
- How to customize my Nokia N900 lock screen?
- How to install HTC Sense theme on N900?
- How to install the new portrait hildon-desktop?
- How to remove the shadows from the icons?
- How to connect a N900 with PC using WIFI, a great tutorial.
- How to set up Google Maps?
- How to enable Mouse Mode in the browser?
- Repositories Extras, Extras-Devel and Extras-Testing for Nokia N900
Edit 22/01/2013 There is apparently a problem with some of the default repositories, so I did a post titled Solution for failed Nokia N900 catalogues.
- Factory resetting a Nokia N900 from Mac OS X Mountain Lion a post by Max Glenister
- Nokia N900 as pulseaudio sink ( Sunday, 16 August 2015 by Merlijn Wajer)
- How to change the Boot Splash Screen (you know the boring white screen Nokia Handshake). The instructions are a bit vague, but read the comments, two posts make sense. There are also some cool videos you can try out on Youtube.com just click the link).
- 54 Hand Tips and Tricks for the Nokia N900 ( some good ones in here).
- How to have 9 sexy desktops on your Nokia N900? (My own post with screenshots).
- How to tweak, modify your Maemo device? (e.g. changing the start up animation, changing shutdown animation, theme editing, menu modding, transistion tweaking and many more extras) Note: you will need to sign up for Symbian-Freak Forums, but it is worth it!
- How to set up WinSCP to log into your Nokia N900? Very useful if you plan to modify your phone in any way. There are a few editors such as Midnight Commander that allow you to delve into the heart of the device, but making changes directly from your PC is a lot easier. Note: To access the link, you will need to sign up for Symbian-Freak Forums, but it is worth it!
- How to fix the Nokia Messaging bug and to properly set it up.
- Python on the Nokia N900 Mark at Stochastic Geometry has written a post for the more – shall we say complex-minded amongst you.
Multiple desktops Up to 9 desktops are possible:
- See my post titled How to have 9 sexy desktops on your Nokia N900?
- There is a 34+ page forum called [How To] Have up to 9 home screens on N900 over at Talk.maemo.org
- There is a really cool application called MaeModder that takes care of a whole multitude of mods.
Dual Booting Maemo and Meego:
As I have not tried any of the links below, I am recommending readers show caution with the links below. They are listed for reference purposes only. Please visit the Maemo Talk Forum for more information.
- How to Dual booting Maemo 5 (Fremantle) PR1.3 and MeeGo 1.1?
- U-boot for N900 (Use at own risk).
- Matans U-boot setup.
- Ctrl + Shift + Fn + L: turns the desktop into vertical or portrait mode. I have tested this with 9 desktops and it works. It does not stay though if one clicks into a task manager or application.
- Ctrl + Shift + s / f: Added zoom in/out support in hildon-desktop (see post PR 22.214.171.124-7 update available for Maemo 5 CSSU).
- Ctrl + Backspace: From within an application this will take you back out to the visual task manager. (Thanks to Chanse for that one.)
- Ctrl + C: Copy text
- Ctrl + V: Paste text
- Ctrl + X: Cut text
- Ctrl + A: Select all
- Ctrl + O: Open (if available)
- Ctrl + N: Create a new item (if available)
- Ctrl + S: Save (if available)
- Ctrl + Z: Undo (if available)
- Ctrl + Y: Redo (if available)
- Ctrl + F: Open search bar (if available)
- Ctrl + Right arrow: Move the insertion point to the end of the word
- Ctrl + Left arrow: Move the insertion point to the beginning of the word
To highlight words, use the shift key (far left) and the directional arrows on the keyboard to select text, or you can use the stylus and double tap for a word or triple tap for all words in a document to select.
Web browser shortcuts:
- Ctrl + N: Open a new window
- Ctrl + R: Reload the current page
- Ctrl + B: Open a bookmark
- Ctrl + D: Add a bookmark
- Ctrl + Shift + O: Portrait View in Browser (Oh yes, yes, yes), thanks to the guys over at Nokia N900 Applications for this little Gem.
- Volume Rocker on side of phone to zoom in and out.
- Ctrl + Enter: Send a message
- Ctrl + R: Reply to a message
RSS Reader shortcuts:
- Ctrl + R: Refresh the feed
- Ctrl + Shift + P: Capture a screenshot. Warm up those fingers first to try this out. (Thanks Nokia Experts reader Matti for the tip.)
Here is a page discussing how to remap your keyboard.
- A Reddit page on the N900. Folk are still using the device. Proof is here.